The following information has been provided by the City Clerk of Sand City with assistance from the County Elections Department.
Candidate guidelines for the November 3, 2020 Presidential General Election
Candidate Guidelines (in PDF)
Candidate Seminar Video
For general candidate information or to request an appointment to file for office please contact the City Clerk by calling City Hall at (831) 394-3054 x220 or emailing Connie Horca at email@example.com.
In the interest of public health and safety, candidates can expect some changes to this year’s candidate filing process. We are working closely with our local and state partner agencies to remain abreast of what is a very fluid situation. Please check this site often as we will be adding important information.
The candidate filing process will be conducted via PHONE APPOINTMENTS followed by multiple options for executing signature documents. The filing period for November is July 13 – August 7. Candidate forms will only be available during this time and must be completed and submitted within this time frame.
Appointments can be made from 8:30 AM to 4:00 PM Monday through Friday by phone or email:
Phone: (831) 394-3054 x220
How can you begin preparing for your candidacy?
1. Verify you are registered to vote in the district for the office you plan to run for.
- Call Monterey County Elections at 831-796-1499 or
- Check your voter status here
2. Prepare any campaign contact information you want us to share with voters (phone numbers, mailing address, email address, website, if applicable). This information will be due at the time of filing and will not be accepted after the close of the candidate filing period.
3. Review FPPC applicable forms, manual, rules and regulations or visit www.fppc.ca.gov.
- Manual 2 – Information for Local Candidates
- Form 501 – must be filed before you raise or spend a single penny with Monterey County Elections.
- Form 410 – file this form if you anticipate spending more than $2,000 for your candidacy. File this form with the Secretary of State (address in the instructions) and a copy with Monterey County Elections.
- Form 470 – file this form if you anticipate spending less than $2,000 for your candidacy. You will file this form with Monterey County Elections.
- Form 700 – all candidates will file this form with Monterey County Elections
4. Schedule your initial phone appointment. To schedule your appointment:
- Call (831) 394-3054 x220 or
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here for Monterey County Elections Electronic Filing System – Public Access Portal to review financial information provided by candidates and committees.
Disclosure Statements (FPPC Filings)
Pursuant to Government Code Section 81000, also known as the California Political Reform Act, candidates and committees are required to file campaign disclosure statements which provide detailed accounting information on money spent or contributions received in support or opposition of a candidate, campaign, or measure. Political Action Committee statements are available for review in the City Clerk’s Office.
The City Clerk’s Office is the official filing officer for campaign disclosure statements related to elections for the City of Sand City and local City ballot and initiative measures. Additional information regarding Campaign Finance Reporting is available on the website of the Fair Political Practices Commission and for some state and local government agency elected officers may be available in electronic format on the FPPC’s internet website: www.fppc.ca.gov
STATEMENT OF ECONOMIC INTEREST – Form 700
(AB 1509 adds GC § 87505 – Political Reform Act)
Public officials and designated employees must file Statements of Economic Interest. Public officials are specified in Government Code Section 87200. They include Council Members, City Attorneys, City Managers, Planning Commissioners, and persons who manage public investments. Designated employees and certain consultants who hold positions that involve making or participating in the making of decisions, which may foreseeably have a material effect on the holder’s financial interests also must file. Such positions are listed in the City’s conflict of interest code; people in these positions must file Statements of Economic Interests – Form 700 pursuant to the disclosure categories specified in that code.
The City Council Members are elected officers identified in Government Code Section 87200 and file statements of economic interests with the City Clerk’s office. Copies of the statements of economic interests filed by the elected officers may be obtained by visiting the City Clerk’s office or the office of the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC).
The physical address of the Sand City City Clerk’s office:
1 Pendergrass Way
Sand City, CA 93955
(831) 394-3054 x220
The physical address of the Fair Political Practices Commission is:
1102 Q St, Suite 3000
Sacramento, CA 95814