Friendly Reminder - All Fireworks are Prohibited within City Limits

Prevent accidental fires in your neighborhood. Report fireworks and hazards to the Dispatch Center at (831) 394-6811. Stay safe everyone!

Building Department

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City's general plan check and inspection needs are contracted through the City of Monterey. For more information, please contact the City of Monterey Building Department at (831) 646-3890.


The Building Department, a division of the Community Development Department, manages and enforces Building Codes and Title 15 of the Sand City Municipal Code to maintain the public’s health, safety, and welfare. The City of Sand City contracts with the City of Monterey for Building Department plans examinations (a.k.a. “Plan Checks), building/fire/life-safety code enforcement, and building inspections; under the purview of the Sand City Community Development Director.

Bay Ave

The building permit application form is available at City Hall and on the City’s website ( For application fees, contact City Hall at 831-394-6700.

To schedule an inspection, call 831-646-3890. Requests for inspections must be made a minimum of twenty-four (24) hours prior to your desired date/time for an inspection.

Regional Agencies:

Prior to issuance of a building permit, some projects may require permits and/or fees from regional agencies, which are:

  • TAMC (for regional transportation impact fees, paid to the City)
  • Monterey Regional Water Pollution Control Agency (for sewer connection permits or waivers) – (831) 372-3367
  • Seaside County Sanitation District (for sewer improvement plans)
  • Monterey Peninsula Water Management District (for water connection permits) – (831) 658-5600
  • Monterey Peninsula Unified School District (for school impact fees) – (831) 645-1240
  • Monterey Bay Unified Air Pollution Control District – (for demolitions only) – (831) 647-9411


Construction and Demolition Debris:

State law requires 50% of construction and demolition (C&D) debris recycling from specified building and all demolition projects. Planning for C&D recycling is important at the time of permit application. The options in Sand City for C&D Hauling Services include:

  1. Contact GreenWaste Recovery, the City’s franchised hauler of Drop-Box Services. See GreenWaste Recovery Drop-Box Services or call (831) 920-6707; or
  2. Self-Haul the materials to various recycling facilities. Be sure to keep your weight tickets as evidence of recycling and provide those tickets to City Hall.

For more information on C&D Recycling:

Best Management Practices:

Best Management Practices (BMPs) are a requirement of all construction sites. BMPs must be implemented to the maximum extent possible to prevent construction site pollutants from entering stormwater runoff, storm drains, or any other natural surface water (i.e. lake, river, ocean). For more information pertaining to BMP’s for Sand City, go to  Sand City’s BMP Guidance Series. Questions can be directed to the City Engineer.